Steering Committee Notes Saturday, August 4, 2018
Community Connectors – Susan Colbert, Georgina Stevenson, Ta Mika
Steering Committee members – Steve Sterrett, Lydia Yoder, and Laura
What they do:
- Supporting and promoting neighborhood events
- Advocating for neighbors in need of help and connecting them to resources
- Being aware of neighborhood programs and connecting neighbors to them (At Home by High, youth programs, etc.)
- Interested in helping with quarterly events – WP yard sale, Rally in the Alley, festival, etc.
Susan Colbert shared that she would like to bring more leadership development opportunities for both Steering Committee and Community Connectors. She is looking into the cost of participation in the Community Leadership Institute.
Another topic of discussion was how to collaborate more as the Weinland Park Community Civic Association, Community Connectors, and Weinland Park Collaborative. The Community Connectors will keep us posted about the time and location of their next gathering.
Weinland Park Yard Sale
Kimberly Golden (community ambassador) would like to start an annual yard sale, and she is thinking the end of September would be a good time to do it this year. There are still funds available for resident engagement, and the Steering Committee suggested that Kimberly Golden entertain a motion to the Steering Committee in order to receive the funds to assist her in planning the yard sale.
Steering Committee Agenda
- Website update-Angie Meeker is helping with the WordPress website.
- Checking account update- need for someone to be a treasurer. It would also be beneficial to have someone who is not an officer have access to the account. If someone is hesitant to commit to a
two yearterm as a treasurer, even a few months help would be welcome.
Wiechelis working with the new owner of Live, Laugh, and Learn (will be renamed Bloom) to create a renovated, high qualitylearning center for children. This center will accept Title XX.
- Steve is setting up a meeting for WPC sometime in Sept or Oct, Mon or Tues at
6pm. Stay tuned for more details.
Planning the September WPCCA Meeting:
- Possibility of having a meeting at the Rice Paddy
- Invite Grant Park Home Owners Association to be involved in the planning of the meeting.
- Diane Dixon will lead an icebreaker
- Omar Elhagmusa is in charge of food
- Georgina Stevenson is the DJ
Planning for the October WPCCA Meeting:
- Email Dr. Robinson-Ervin
- Ask Laura Kogan to be involved in the meeting because of her involvement